About this listing
To help the rural poor by making them realize the importance of their existence in the society and adopt change through community development and achievement of gender equality regardless of one’s ethnicity, race, religion, sexuality and sexual orientation
we believe that one individual act can have a strong positive ripple effect, so when you empower one you empower many.
changing lives together we can. HYCF has the following objectives which guides its day to day work.
1. To provide healthy environment for the children to receive their basic needs and lead them to a brighter future.
2. To provide capacity building to children on how to protect themselves against drug and substance abuse.
3. To collect and document data on the challenges that children face in the society.
4. To help survivors of any rights violations psychologically and sign post them to other service providers for final assistance.
5. To empower vulnerable groups through income generating activities to reduce economic dependency.
mainstreaming HIV and AIDS in all programmes and projects, HYCF uses the following strategies to achieve its set mission and vision;
1. Counselling and public education.
2. Capacity building and trainings
3. Provision of legal aid services to the communities.
4. Referral services
5. Provision of alternatives for victimized and vulnerable groups.
6. Documentation of abuses on children.
HYCF’s mission statement is to help Children who have droped out of school because of poverty, peer pressure, and lack of health care therefore our target group is mostly children who lack the following support in the society. As an organization, we realize that helping of the rural poor realize the importance of their existence in the society and adopt change cannot take place without involving men and women. We thus target men, women, boys, and girls so that messages of change reach the whole community.
The role/expectations What does the work schedule look like? Please give as much detail as possible
When you apply to volunteer with HYCF we will do our best to tailor a program which is suitable to your skills and the needs of the organization. Please let us know before you arrive if you have any specific skills or areas of interest so we can plan activities accordingly. When you arrive in Karonga, you will be met by a member of the HYCF team and taken to your accommodation to get settled. We can also help you with other tasks such as buying a local SIM (for internet data, texts and calls) or any other essentials you may need. The next (weekday) morning, you will be taken to HYCFs office where you will be able to meet other members and volunteers. You will be given a chance to learn about more about HYCF and to introduce yourself to the team. Together we will create a programme which can make best use of your skills, interests and time. Volunteers generally work five days a week and have their weekends off, although this timetable is flexible (sometimes there will be an activity planned at the weekend.) Every Monday morning there will be a team meeting at the HYCF office for us to share ideas and plan the activities for the week ahead. All volunteers are expected to attend this meeting weekly to enable us to collaborate effectively as a group. All volunteers will also be invited to the HYCF whatsapp group, where we share photos and information about our activities with other members. For those who have a laptop or who would like to help with grant writing, blogs and other administrative work, we generally spend the mornings in the office (from approximately 8.30 until 12.30) before going home for lunch. The afternoon activities can vary depending on the day and the program of the volunteers. Volunteers with specific skills and experience can request to work with one of our local partners outside of HYCF. For example, we can help doctors or those with a medical background to be placed in a local hospital or arrange for teachers to assist in a school. Volunteers are encouraged to come forward with creative concepts for new projects which can help the community. In the past, volunteers have decided to buy paint and redecorate the classrooms at an underfunded school, or to offer free counselling sessions in a nearby prison. While welcome all ideas, we do request that you continue to involve HYCF in your plans during your stay though continued communication with other members, and by attending the weekly meetings. Please be aware that the office may be up to 30 minutes walk from your accommodation (depending on where you are staying) and that other planned activities may be further away. Volunteers may rent a bicycle for 1500 MWK ($2) per day for ease of travelling on these days.
What are the Benefits of Volunteering with you? What will you learn?
if you want to experience African culture! My organization is called HYCF- Helping You Community Forum. No doubt we can say this will be an unforgettable experience, you will get to engage in Malawian life, learn more about the culture, share you knowledge, gain new skills and contribute on so many levels. You will be assisting in small grassroots organizations which is run entirely by volunteers and receives limited international funding. Let us know if you are interested and we will explain more about these programs!
If you Charge Volunteers, please give us the complete break down of any cost involvedWe do charge only on electricity bill,water bill,and food (three meals a day) we encourage a volunteer to add a contribution of k7,000 per day.
- ID : 5882
- Type: Volunteer House Private Room / NGO Support
- How many hours of work per day/week: 3 hours
- Type of weather : Hot
- Languages spoken: English
- Are you able to host volunteers / interns with physical impairments such as mobility limitations (e.g. in a wheelchair), blindness, or deafness?: Yes
- [if yes] Please describe which physical impairments you are able to accommodate, and how you do so: Flexible scheduling to allow time for counseling and appointments. Allowing calls to medical providers during work hours
- Do You Charge Volunteers? : No
What does the organization offer?
- Compost toilet
- Language lessons
- Vegetarian Meals Provided
What Should Volunteer bring and what are they responsible for ?
- Airline tickets
- Rain Coat
- Sun tan lotion
Terms & rules
- Smoking allowed: No
- Pets allowed: Yes
- Children allowed: Yes
- The minimum stay is 3 days nights
Hosted by DavidGambihno
- Profile Status
- Sort By: