About this listing
Mama Dorika’s Island of Happiness –MDIH is an imaginary island portraying the character and the happiness widows and orphans got after receiving an aid from Dorika (Dorcus), a renown apostle of Jesus for her Devoted Service of assisting the poor, Orphans and Widows (Acts 9:36-41). Owing to the services rendered by this organization similar to that of Dorika and the fact that goodness is a virtue among the gods, the above name was reached. Are you sobbing, abused, neglected, or marginalized, please run very fast to this island where you will be soothed and Cherished; where sorrows shall be turned into songs and get reassurance of life.
Mama Dorika’s Island of Happiness-MDIH was founded on 6thJune, 2015 for the Purpose of providing caring services for Orphans, Widows, Disabled Children and Children living with HIV/AIDS in Bukonzo West Constituency and the Surrounding Rwenzori region. We believe that every person deserves both physical and emotional care for his well being and development.
Likewise the agencies operating in Kasese District and some other international humanitarian organizations, volunteers and well-wishers have recommended the activities of Mama Dorika’s Island Of Happiness-MDIH and promised to improve Capacity building in order to create participation at community level such that we can achieve sustainable result from the activities to their communities especially the Widows, orphans and disabled children.
This organization does not discriminate on grounds of one’s race, color, language, religion and sex considering that all humans were created in God’s image just like Dorika used to do.
Mama Dorika’s Island of Happiness-MDIH is a community based organization registered with the Ugandan National Board of NGOs and CBOs under REG.NO CBO/1835. We welcome volunteers from both Uganda and internationally. We have many programs in place working in the western region of Uganda. We want to incorporate in our team volunteers who can bring us fresh ideas, new skills and enthusiasm to our organisation.
Our projects are open for all volunteers, and we work hard to tailor a volunteer program to individual skills and preferences. We do not require any specific skills but look for committed enthusiastic people who will be willing to learn, contribute and immerse themselves in life here. Being the official language of Uganda we do require proficient communication in English. We welcome volunteers of all nationalities, faiths and beliefs of 18 years and above both males and Females.
We have a wide range of activities that volunteers can get involved with from practical field work to administrative and fundraising tasks for both short and long stays. Our team of staff is incredibly friendly and welcoming and they will endeavour to ensure your time here is as enjoyable and worthwhile as possible. Volunteering with us can give you the opportunity to enhance our organisation and the lives of people within the local communities, exchanging experience, knowledge and ideas, together with learning new skills. We would like you to be able to experience some of our konzoculture and hope to form close friendships so you can continue to support us and return if you wish to do so. We will make sure that as well as some hard work during your time here there is lots of fun and socialising too.
We can’t Wait to host you!
The role/expectations What does the work schedule look like? Please give as much detail as possible
ROLES/EXPECTACTIONS Mama Dorika`s main programs are Public Health, Education, Agriculture and Income Generating Activities, Environmental conservation, Human Rights and Social Justice.Regardless of your background or previous experience, there is flexibility of what project/s you would like to get involved with.We have identified some areas that you may wish to focus on:
- Medical/ health – those with some medical training/ background/ interest, to help in rural health centres, hospitals and provide health education to different groups within the community and work with our HIV and malaria projects
- Education/ teaching – education of our Functional Adult Learning and Life Skills groups.
- Sports– help us in fundraising for our soccer academy, tactical training, fitness coaching, game reading etc. www.facebook.com/bsasportsforall/
- Music, Dance and Drama (MDD)– help our peer educators with MDD sessions for both HIV awareness and for general enjoyment
- Workshops and training– help train our peer educators, staff and community in areas you are knowledgeable in and feel would be beneficial e.g. IT skills, vocational skills, financial and business skills etc
- Agriculture– help the local communities with their small scale farming i.e. setting up Kitchen Gardens for our Widows and the Mothers of Disabled Children.
- Management and administration – this involves helping our staff with the day to day running of the organization and any new improvements you can bring. This includes monitoring and evaluation of projects, marketing, advertising, social networking, legal affairs, website designing, proposal writing and staff training
- Fundraising – both helping us with local fundraising ideas and larger scale proposal writing, fund mobilisation and lobbying
- Business planning and management-Empowering Communities with trainings in business and Income Generating Projects/Activities to improve their livelihoods
- Photography, web designing and graphic design, making short documentary about our projectsin slum areas are welcome
- Human resource management and administrative work
- Internships and Research work/Dissertations, volunteers /students will have placement opportunities in Mama Dorika’s Island Of Happiness-MDIH and Partner Institutions and Organisations
- Monitoring and evaluation project work-Volunteers will have opportunity to have field outreaches to monitor and supervise various projects and programmes both for non state actors and Local Governments most especially those implemented by Mama Dorika’s Island of Happiness-MDIH. • Micro-finance-Training various women and youth groups in Investments Opportunities, this is through the Functional Adult and Financial LiteracyProgrammes
- Net Working, Collaboration and Partnerships:
Work Schedule 4-7 hours a day, minimum stay 2-3 weeks
What are the Benefits of Volunteering with you? What will you learn?During a volunteer`s stay with us, we help him or her to arrange for his trips in the free time allocated for them, we are located in the Western Uganda that is endowed with very many geographical sites that are a Must see! These sites include among others:
- The Queen Elizabeth national Park
- Katwe Salt Mining Lake
- Kilembe Mines
- Kiwa Heritage hot spring
- Sempaya hot spring
- Amabere Ga Nyinamwiru ( Rock with Female Breasts with flowing breast milk)
- The Uganda-Congo Border international Market
- Kitagata Hot spring
- Lake Edward
- Lake George
- Kazinga Channel with the largest school of Hippos in the World.
- The Nice Culture.
- Right to communicate with Loved ones and Family
- Right to eat food of choice
- Right to access free wifi in the volunteer host family
- Right to Speak challenges to the volunteer coordinator
- Right to Ugandan free SIM card if need be
If you Charge Volunteers, please give us the complete break down of any cost involvedBeing a grassroot organization, Mama Dorika`s Island Of happiness-MDIH do charge a small fee as a shared cost for the betterment of the Volunteer program. it is broken down as follows; a) Meals......................$20 b) Transport across fields [fuel] ............$20 c) Claen Water ................$10 d) 24 hour emergency support.........$20 The organization also shares a cost with a volunteer from the Airport to the Project which is also $25, so if we pay for you Airport pickup, you also pay the $25 when you go back and one of our team members escorts a volunteer and first witness how the plane takes off. NB. The costs above applies for only one week a volunteer finishes with us.
- ID : 3766
- How many hours of work per day/week: 4-7
- Type of weather : Hot and Cold
- Languages spoken: English
What does the organization offer?
- All Meals Provided
- Language lessons
- Vegetarian Meals Provided
What Should Volunteer bring and what are they responsible for ?
- Airline tickets
- Bug spray
- Mosquito net
- Rain Coat
- Sun tan lotion
Terms & rules
- Smoking allowed: No
- Pets allowed: No
- Children allowed: Yes
- The minimum stay is 7 nights
Hosted by rickywiseone4
- Profile Status
- Sort By: